Friday, December 10, 2004

Testing Spaghetti

Tonight, I made spaghetti for dinner. The noodles were cooking and it was time to test one to see if they were done. So I pulled one out with a fork and then threw it at my kitchen wall to see if it would stick. Why? Why do I do this everytime I make spaghetti noodles? Who did I watch do this when I was younger and told me if I threw it at the wall and it stuck, then it was done. Mom, did you do this? Was this a joke? And for the last 10 years I have still kept that in my mind everytime I have made it and do it to test the doneness of my noodles? Is someone laughing at me somewhere..thinking..she still does that?? :) Or is that really how other people test to see if their noodles are cooked? It doesn't say on the back of the bag, to check if done, throw at your wall. If it falls off then cook longer..and if it sticks then its done. Where did I get this from? Does anyone else do this? Or am I just weird like that? :)

6 comments:

Mrs. Flinger said...

HA HA.. Ummm.. I pretty much eat stuff to see if it's done. :-)

Erin said...

LOL! I have heard of this, but I can't say that I actually DO it. ;) It's funny though. You should take a picture next time. Hee hee...

NanaCuckoo said...

Okay, you can explain my name to all your blogger friends, since the princess is the one who gave it to me!
Now the spaghetti noodle testing. The only thing I can remember is one time you and your sister were helping me make dinner. You were pretty little, maybe six years old or so. We were having lots of fun and giggling. You wanted to know how I knew when spaghetti was done enough and I told you I used my grandmothers old testing method. Grandma Mimi did this. (I really didn't do it this way, but it seemed fun at the time considering our mood) I took out a piece of the spaghetti and threw it at the wall. It stuck! We laughed and laughed and threw more noodles around the kitchen! It was so much fun...until I had to clean it all up! haha. I guess that is where your thoughts come from, how funny. You made me laugh while reading about your spaghetti testing passed down through the years. I wish I had been as impressionable with teaching you and your sister how to pick up your clothes off your bedroom floors! LOL Had I known it was this easy, I would have thrown the clothes at the walls to see if they stuck! Love you, Mom

Traci said...

OH Bree, you are not the only one! That is the test, the true test of perfectly done pasta. I was taught that technique from a chef I know and every once in awhile I test my pasta the same way.

Rachael said...

I have heard of that method being used. So you aren't crazy. I just eat one to see if it is still crunchy.

Anonymous said...

i do the exact same thing, 1 day i was cooking pasta with 1 of my friends and i did this she stood and looked at me in shook horror asking me what i was doin mum hoo had been watchin us starting laughing and explained it was an old tradition pasted down through the generations but it works!!!!!!!!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP